Thursday, January 10, 2008

A continuation regarding listening skills...

I was flipping through one of my borrowed books this morning, and I came across a chapter called "Conscious Listening." [This is how my life tends to work...I come in contact with an idea and then the idea tends to grow and grow without my help.]"Conscious Listening" includes a number of listening commitments. Ironically the commitments run along the same lines of my blog about Co-creating. In Co-creating, I spoke of my fears regarding whole conversations between me and men being lost in translation. The listening commitments section breaks the listening process down even further than I broke it down in the Co-creating blog. I thought the list was good stuff, albeit difficult to employ I am sure!
"I commit to listening carefully enough that I can restate the content of what you have said without adding my view point to it."
"I commit to listening to the feelings embedded in your communication."
"I commit to listening in such a way that our mutual creativity is facilitated."
"I commit to speaking and listening to myself and you free of criticism [Criticism is defined as 'finding fault, censuring, disapproving.']"
"I commit to speaking and listening to myself and you free of evaluating either of us [Evaluating is defined as 'appraising, determining the worth of.']"
"I commit to speaking and listening to myself and you free of judging either of us as right or wrong, good or bad, smart or stupid."
"I commit to speaking and listening to myself and you free of comparing us to each other or anyone else. [Comparing is defined as bringing things together to ascertain their differences and similarities.]"
"I commit to speaking and listening to myself and you free from controlling the feelings, energies, or actions of either of us. [Controlling is defined as 'curbing, restraining, holding back, having authority over, directing or commanding.]"
"I commit to speaking and listening to myself and you with appreciation. [Appreciation is defined in two senses: 'sensitive awareness' and 'focus on positive qualities and attributes.']"
p. 262-263, The conscious heart: seven soul-choices that inspire creative partnership, Kathlyn Hendricks and Gay Hendricks

No comments: